This week today my fad is eating less bread and so breakfast today was hash browns. What’s not to like about fried salty potatoes?
what you need: serves 1 (well maybe 2)
- 3 largish new potatoes
- a small onion
- 1 egg
- a sprinkle of salt and pepper
- olive oil for frying
what you do:
- peel and slice the onion into thin moons
- wash the potatoes and keeping the skins on coarsely grate
- squeeze the moisture out of the grated potatoes using hands/kitchen towel
- mix in the beaten egg and some salt & black pepper.
- warm a splosh of olive oil in a frying pan – dollop little piles of the mixture into the hot oil and squash down the a fork a little to flatten.
- fry on a medium heat for 4-5 minutes each side until cooked through.
piled on a plate maybe an extra dusting of salt and definitely a cup of coffee not tea. You could always make this more substantial by adding a spot of bacon, maybe a poached egg or a splat of beans or perhaps throw a chopped chilli into the hash brown mix and drizzle over a trickle of maple syrup when cooked.