This is a very cheap dinner to make, it happily feeds six people. The recipe can be easily altered to suit what veggies you already have in and need to use up.
what you need:
- large onion – red or brown
- 2 big carrots
- 2 peppers – any colour
- 2 cloves of garlic
- tin of chopped tomatoes
- tin of kidney beans
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- a grating of cacao or spoon of cocoa powder (optional)
what you do:
- peel and chunkily chop all the veggies & garlic
- add a splash of olive oil to the pan – add your veggies and cook gently for 10 minutes until softening
- add the spices and continue to cook for 5 minutes
- add the tomatoes and kidney beans and a can full of water
- season with salt and pepper – add cocoa if using
- transfer to oven on 180C for 2 hours or put in the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours
serve with boiled rice and a dollop of yogurt, also great just served with a chunk of bread, maybe a scattering of grated cheese.
- if you are needing this meal to go a lot further – mix it into the rice and serve it as spicy veggie rice.
- any leftovers are nice in a wrap for lunch the next day or maybe as a jacket potato topping.
- spices are often available at much lower costs if you buy them from the world foods sections in supermarkets rather than the spice aisle….