Simple, easy to make, filling.
what you need (serves 4):
- small onion
- 2 carrots
- a large ripe plum tomato or two
- a couple of handfuls of puy lentils
- tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp of dried sage
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a splash of red wine
- salt & pepper
- a small crumbled chilli
what you do:
- peel and chop the onion and carrots
- chunkily chop the plum tomatoes
- add a splash of olive oil to a saucepan – slowly fry the onions, carrots and plum tomato with the garlic and sage for 10 – 15 minutes
- add the red wine, tin of chopped tomatoes, crumbled chilli and puy lentils
- top up the pan with enough boiling water to cover everything well (approx 1-1 1/2 pints)
- season with salt & pepper and leave to simmer for an hour – do keep an eye on it you made need to top up the water depending on the quantity of lentils you use.
- my preference is sprinkled with a mound of double gloucester cheese with plenty of homemade bread to dip in. I also send this in flasks for the children’s packed lunch.