I’m trying to eat less meat, yes I have been watching River Cottage Veg Every Day again and yes every time I watch it I immediately want to be vegetarian and eat gorgeous simple veggie food.
This week in my Abel & Cole veg box I got a lovely big Fennel and a quick search of the recipe section on the Abel & Cole website brought up sizzled fennel steaks. Such a simple idea, so few ingredients and so I gave it a go, I did accessorise a little, think gorgeous bread, cheese and chilli….
The result was very moorish, aniseedy oozy melty chilli and cheesy a combination of all my favourite flavours and surprisingly filling (may have been related to the enormity of the bread… but you can never have too much bread, right?)
what you need (serves 2):
- a big fat bulb of fennel
- some nice bread (homemade is nicest)
- lettuce (I used red oak leaf)
- 250g mozzarella
- dried chilli
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- a little salad – cucumber/plum tomatoes
what to do:
- slice the fennel into thick slices
- heat a good splash of oil in a frying pan and add the fennel slices
- sprinkle them with salt, pepper, crumbled dried chilli and a good squirt of lemon juice
- sizzle for around 5 minutes on each side
- meanwhile… slice your bread, add your lettuce, tear strips of mozzarella, make a little side salad
- add the sizzled fennel steaks to the bread on top of the mozzarella so it all turns oozy and melty.
eat straight away, preferably with a nice glass of white wine…