Easy to make, simple to double if you have to feed a crowd, relatively cheap and squeezes in plenty of veggies. This recipe serves 2 big people, 2 little people and one very little person. It’s ideal for a lazy Sunday lunch.
- 12 chipolatas (feel free to use whatever sausage you like)
- 2 eating apples
- 2 red onions
- 6 carrots
- 250ml apple cider
- 450ml beef stock
- bay leaf
what you do:
- preheat your oven to 200C
- quickly brown your sausages in a frying pan
- peel and slice your onions, carrots and apples
- add the vegetables and sausages to a casserole dish
- pour over the cider and stock add a little salt & pepper and a bay leaf
- cook in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes
- if the sauce needs thickening add just a teaspoon of cornflour mixed in cold water.
this really needs a big pile of fluffy mustard streaked mash potato and a green or two – think cabbage or think lazy – frozen green beans and peas, all counts to your five a day.
This will cook quite happily in a slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours. It’s also a good idea to make extra veggies and potatoes then have them as bubble & squeak with a poached egg a day later.